Thursday, July 31, 2008

My own personal NaNoWriMo

Here's an email I just sent out to my core support group:

"Hello,

Remember when I did NaNoWriMo last year and I sent out an email to friends and family that would keep me accountable and honest and writing? The idea is that even if you don't do anything, just having told you will keep me writing because I won't want to lose face for not doing it. And best case scenario, you'll send me emails every now and again to nag or support or see how I'm doing. Well, the fact that I did that was a huge factor in my success last November (I didn't finish a novel, but I did write the requisite 50,000 words in one month).

A friend suggested a few days ago that I take August as my own personal NaNoWriMo month and write 50,000 on TCB. No matter what I do, I'll be further along than I am now, so it seems like a good idea to try. NaNoWriMo last year was tough. I was working full time and in order to write 1,500+ words every day, I neglected cleaning the house and going out with friends, etc. But it was very, very good for me. So, despite everything, I'm going to give it a shot.

So, you don't have to do anything. Just having written this email letting you know what I'm going to try to do is a huge thing in and of itself. BUT, if you'd like to send me emails or give me little calls throughout August nagging me or seeing what my progress is, please do. I'll appreciate it, even if I sound stressed out and tired. I promise. You may have to remind me I said that.

Thank you and love,
Emilie"

I saw this last weekend while in BR. I love Bollywood movies and I love Natalie Portman, so this is a win-win video, though it's VERY, VERY strange, especially the end. Speaking of videos, a friend told me to check out Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" video because it made her like the song a bit less. It's a glossy, pretty video, but pretty stereotypical and obvious. And waaay too gratutitous. Then again, it is for a song called "I Kissed a Girl," which goodness help us all, is way to catchy no matter what else you want to say about it. Wanna see something that's much more unexpected and cool (though, just like the first linked video above, VERY strange)? Go here to see the glorious She&Him in their video for "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here."

Saw Wall-E last Sunday and without bothering with spoilers, let me just say - I cried pretty much the entire movie. Yeah, really. Partly cause my eyes tear up when I'm cold but mostly because I couldn't get over the humanity of the machines in this movie! And the childish, inhuman quality of the humans. One of my favorite movies. Ever. Proof yet again that the Pixar folks are GENIUSES. This is what happens when talented people think.

A friend sent me a forward of homonym humor that she got from her aunt and I was cracking up for an embarassingly long time afterwards. Here's a few:

When two egoists meet, it's an I for an I.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.
A lot of money is tainted - it taint yours and it taint mine.
When a clock is hungry, it goes back four seconds.

It's a good thing I don't mind being a dork cause I'm REALLY looking forward to Breaking Dawn tomorrow evening/early Saturday.

Wish me luck on my own personal NaNoWriMo [Guess that would be PerNoWriMo, actually] starting tomorrow!

No comments: