Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Back in Nola, back to Normal

Wow, that was a whole lot of all over the place. I got back in Nola last night and went back to work today. Now we're all playing catch up - paying the bills, putting evacuation-ready homes to rights, returning library books - and hoping Ike nor Josephine nor any other as-of-yet unnamed storm comes near us.

Let's see - Samurai Girl pretty much sucked, as could be expected. The main actress wasn't a phenomenal actor, but the main problem I had was the adaptation from the books. I mean, it's ABC Family, so I wasn't expecting great writing, but even with the ability to lavish 2 hours on each of the first three books, the plot was so terribly condensed. It could've been done. But this was one level above soap opera writing and acting. The ONE consistent exception was the actress Saige Thompson, who played the best friend Cheryl. She had the best lines and the best delivery. I pretty much watched the rest of the installments for her. She was hysterical. And the music was really good.

Was really sorry to miss The Zydepunks and their new cd at One-Eyed Jack's on Friday. However, it was almost worth missing in order to catch up with J, her husband B and their son Jack (I'm always going to call him that, J!). J and I have known each other since we were 7 years old. Or as we told just-turned-6-year-old Jack (who thinks he's almost 7), "We were just a little older than you." And then we both looked at each other and gasped, "Oh my gawd! TWENTY YEARS almost!" I think we were proud and horrified in equal measure. And then A and I caught up on my way through Auburn, of course, as we always do (we've known each other more than twenty years).

Read this crazy article about how dogs perceive time. WEIRD. And this even weirder one about an anti-wedding that made me think of C and R, who's wedding celebration I missed while I was in NYC. I always miss the best stuff when I'm out of town.

Tonight, I play volleyball. Hurrah! This weekend, I dance! Double hurrah!

4 comments:

Laurie Lynn said...

Fascinating article on dogs and time. And I heart your new blog colors!

Emilie said...

Thanks Laurie Lynn! I'm so glad you do and that you're reading. :)

Mary said...

I liked the dog article too. But today, Pan refused to come inside when David told him to come inside, because for the past week every day during the workweek, after David told him to come inside he put him up in his kennel and apparently Pan didn't want to go back. Biorhythms and neural markers? I dunno. Maybe border collies are EXEMPT and have SPECIAL PEOPLE MEMORIES!!! :D

Emilie said...

Not all Border collies are except. Just Pan cause he's special. :)