Saturday, October 25, 2008

Voting, NaNoWriMo and extraneous fun

On the very precipice of NaNoWriMo (Nov. 1st) and the all-important vote (Nov. 4th), I'm finally writing again. Not that I haven't had things to say, but it seems like I haven't stood still long enough to say them lately.

First - very excited about the kick off of NaNoWriMo ONE WEEK from today. I still haven't decided if I'm going to participate fully and officially by writing something new or if I'm going to try to use the crazy in-built propulsion of NaNoWriMo to do the rest of the new writing I need for TCB. If you want to keep track of my new words and be my novelling buddy, here is my NaNoWriMo profile. I will say that it's important for me to participate in some way this year as last year was my first year and saved my life and/or my writing. Seriously. No hyperbole here. I've written "seriously" (my definition) since I was 10 years old and after 7 steady years of studying creative writing, I'd forgotten how fun writing could be, how much joy there was there for me. I had a memory of what it was like to want to write more than anything else, to enjoy it, and I desperately wanted that feeling back. NaNoWriMo helped give that back to me last year and I think I need a booster shot. Sign up and be my buddy. Commit to 50,000 words in one month - shoot for the stars. Even if you don't achieve 50,000 words, you will have achieved something you never would've thought is possible - even if it's 5 words you wouldn't have written, 50, 500, 5,000.

And while I'm encouraging participation, it is ESSENTIAL that everybody vote. No matter how you vote (though I think everybody knows how I'd prefer this one to go), we MUST remember how much the power to vote means, how hard so many people fought for the right. And it is a right and a responsibility. We owe it to ourselves to do our part and speak up. Up until yesterday, I wasn't entirely certain if I'd remembered to register to vote in Nola and I can't tell you how pleased I was to learn that not only had I done my civic duty and registered appropriately, but I can WALK to the polls on my day off. That's going to make it a very fun activity for me. Everybody vote - you won't have any right to complain unless you do because you wouldn't have done the bare minimum we can do as citizens to affect change.

Now that the advertisement and public service announcement are over, here's some links to things I've been paying attention to:

Hannah Tinti's new book and a tiny tidbit more on the humorously, pointlessly heated YA/adult fiction schism (from GalleyCat). [REALLY folks, WHY is it so necessary to define the difference as if both aren't as difficult, as valid and as if they don't crossover as much as they certainly do?]

WHOA - Christopher Buckley. Good for you. Also from GalleyCat.

Jewel of Medina's only sold 3,000 copies, probably cause people are having trouble finding it. And a link from the above piece on Borders' book buying. Both from GalleyCat.

I feel like there's so much more I'm forgetting to say and to link to. That's what happens when I don't keep up with my interests and thoughts diligently, religiously. :) Am very excited and conflicted about the multitude of amazing Halloween shows (Zydepunks and the New Orleans Bingo! Show. In one night! And this is even without trick-or-treating and costumes. Oh man.) Speaking of costumes, I love that I keep seeing people randomly walking around in them. Loving the cool weather, but not looking forward to retiring my flip-flops and being conscientious about sleeves. I'm not good at that stuff - am in serious denial. Maybe I can find some furry flip-flops and get away with just a scarf... I think I seriously need to consider buying a coat. Sigh.

No comments: