Sunday, November 30, 2008

'Fess Up Sunday - the NaNoWriMo edition

So now that NaNoWriMo is ending tonight, I'm ready for one final November fess up.

I'm not going to make 50,000 words. It turns out that (and yes, I did know this, but now I know it) trying to do massive amounts of new words on an old project is very, very hard. But, I still won.

Oh not by NaNo's standards. However, this month was a massive epiphany, rolling waves of insights.

Here's a shortlist of my accomplishments:
1) I edited and wrote new scenes up to page 230 or so.
2) I rewrote, just this weekend, an imperative new edit of the first chapter.
3) I managed about 15,000 new words, including 1882 today alone -- and today's word count was entirely without the aid of Write Or Die (though can't tell you how happy I am that it exists).
4) Best of all, I'm still committed (more so now than ever) to finishing the book by the end of the year. I may have to escape from all human contact the last week or so, but I think it can be done.

So, good luck to all of you NaNo-ers, especially those of you who are in a writing frenzy to cross the finish line. No matter what your word count is for this month, isn't it cool what we've done?

No comments: