Friday, November 28, 2008

MUSIC!

Hope everybody had a cozy, happy Thanksgiving (or as my friend R. called it, "steal a country and kill a turkey day"). Today, Black Friday, I'm giving you oodles of Christmas presents early, from me to you (and all without my favorites to back me up, on my parents' computer).

I have an enormous, voracious, ravenous appetite for new music. To that end, I have several tools that I use to find more. Whenever I see a movie, I often look up the soundtracks at imdb or Amazon. I'm likely to email my friends Dave and Nick and beg for suggestions. The Gossip Girl website is good for new music (there are separate playlists for all the characters) and cdbaby is always there for me (and now sending me a newsletter!). Another good source of music you hear on t.v. is TuneFind. Just while looking for one of my links, I found this blog called Song a Day, which didn't last long but looks interesting, but alas, I can't find the one I was looking for. I'm a big fan of Cassette From My Ex (though I wish they'd update more often), which I've mentioned before. One of my happiest finds was NPR's Song of the Day newsletter (they have a Music Notes newsletter, too). Another extremely good find was the NY Times' Living with Music blog where writers are asked to make playlists. One of my recent favorites was Elissa Schappell and I, of course, adored Nick Hornby's. He made me extremely angry about a Ben Folds song I can't find anywhere. And best of all, he introduced me to the music blog I Am Fuel, You Are Friends.

Okay, don't say I never gave you anything. Hey! If you want to give me something, send me some links for great new music finds. I always need new music. Have a great weekend everybody.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for the text Thursday. Hope you had a happy thanksgiving too! Me, I'm super sick all of a sudden and I'll just be happy to be well in time for work Monday... but so it goes!

Emilie said...

I did have a good Thanksgiving, thanks. Just lots of driving. Sorry you're sick. :'(