Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I'm curious...

I missed AI last night (out having a real life) and caught up the only way I could (listening to the performances without video on YouTube and reading recaps about the judges' comments). And I'm curious to see if I can still predict who leaves today.

Going home: Michael Sarver or Scott MacIntyre. Probably Michael.

Judges got it wrong: Loved Lil Rounds with "Independence Day." She's always been solid, but she hasn't really gotten my attention before this. I thought it was a great performance, solidly country but still her own take. Adam Lambert with "Ring of Fire." Ditto as Lil Rounds. I've always known he's a good solid performer, but he's not my favorite. I'll give him this, his performances are *always* completely original. He really does his own things with the songs. It might not be Simon's style, but it was definitely risky and creative. And it sounded amazing.

Lovin': Anoop Desai and Matt Giraud and Kris Allen. Great performances.

Alright now: Danny Gokey and Allison Iraheta, great solid performances but they are not surprising me. I just wish they'd mix it up, surprise me. Danny should sing something about bitter, dark hearbreak and not something tender and inspirational. Allison should sing something tender and soft and show us that her voice has dimension, that she's not just a rocker chick. Sure, being true to yourself is great, but I can honestly say I wouldn't listen to an entire cd or concert of theirs if they're only going to sing the same type of songs.

Still loving: Alexis Grace and Megan Corkrey. It helps that they both sang songs I know well and really love. Though not terribly surprised that Alexis sang "Jolene" - because it's a great song for her. She didn't quite do with it what I know she can. Megan sang sick, had a couple of rocky notes, but did a really nice "Walking After Midnight."

So let's see how my predictions turn out...

[3.23.09: I did a very bad job of predicting this one as half of my favorites group went home. Put out a cd Alexis. Like, right now. I'll buy it. Just like I'll see Kherington in the remake of Fame.]

No comments: