Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gotta talk about it...

Okay, so they need to rename American Idol "The Adam Lambert Show with Friends." That's incredibly rude to say, especially considering that the other four contestants are hugely talented. But it is true. Kris blew me out of the water with "Ain't No Sunshine," and Allison Iraheta is solid every week, doing her thing. But who can top Adam's showstoppers?

If anyone else wins, it will be primarily because they've had to raise their game so much to match Adam and surprised everyone.

I mean, take a look at this latest, "Feeling Good." Simon nailed it when he said that complaining that Adam is too theatrical is like "complaining that the cow moos." That's exactly what Adam is, theatrical and not afraid of it. He plays with whatever material he chooses to tackle, collaborates with the house musicians, packages himself and the performance in an always-memorable way. You have only to see his entrance on those stairs to feel like (and I'm borrowing a Paula-ism, but it's true) you're watching an Adam Lambert concert (event) rather than a talent show. I mean, was that a white satin suit he wore tonight? He was the exact opposite of Ryan as he stood next to him. Not many men can make eyeliner, falsetto and impeccable fashion sense as masculine and sexy as he can. I guess it's the swagger.

Speaking of that falsetto, I must say that it is incredibly hard to hit the note Adam hit at the end, hold it as long as he did and then maintain that level of control when you're coming down quietly. You don't have to know anything about music to know that, but I know just enough to say confidently that it's hard and not everyone would be capable of it. When the hell did he breathe?

I suspect the final three is going to come down to Adam, Kris and Allison. Although I enjoyed Matt Giraud tonight, I think he'll be the next to go. Then Danny Gokey next week. He did well tonight, even with Jamie Foxx right in front of his face, but he's a bit bland for me. I've heard folks predict that it'll come down to Adam and Danny and that may happen. But my money's on Adam and Kris at the end. Unless people assume Adam's gold and don't vote - the judges' save is gone now, so he'd be toast. I highly doubt that'll be the way of it.

Let us see. Only Adam (and Kris's "Aint' No Sushine") could've made me watch again after Alexis and Megan left.

[4.28: This is ridiculous, but I was curious. The high note lasts at least 8 seconds with the controlled notes coming down lasting another good three or four before he can even think of breathing and surprisingly, the breath isn't a loud heaving one. So hard.

I compared the different versions of "Feeling Good" I personally have after listening to Adam's like 5 times straight through today. Recently heard an awesome cover from the Dark Was the Night charity album by My Brightest Diamond which owes a lot to Nina Simone's version. While Adam's version is not original - those edgy opening notes gave away his debt to Muse - he cut their 3:20 cover down to a 1:59 version that didn't suffer for it. AND, that high note? His own, entirely. Muse's is quieter and less showy. Gorgeous, of course, but not anything as oh-my-f'ing-gawd-how-did-he-do-that as Adam's.]

No comments: