Friday, May 29, 2009

Fess Up Friday (the so glad to be done edition)

Let it be known that around 7:35 p.m. today, I finished my book and my first act upon said completion was to launch myself across Cheers, throw myself into Jamey's arms and sob for about three minutes. And then she took me to Juan's for some melted cheese and margaritas where I occasionally sighed with relief and randomly grinned and was generally goofy.

Just prior to this launching and sobbing and celebrating, B. came by and knocked on the window and made silly faces at me, to which I very meanly held up a finger and mouthed "ONE PAGE" and then made a rude gesture for him to leave me alone. But he's forgiven me, so that's okay. This is what happens when one finishes one's masterpiece at a public venue.

At this point, my computer has threatened to die several times, my hands and wrists hate me and I am incredibly sleep deprived, but I never once had to consume an energy drink and I've slept at least four or six hours each night. I think we can surmise that my coffee habit is so much more pervasive and deeply rooted than the last time I pushed to finish a book (ha, also this one, but in a different version) that I had no need for energy drinks (Rockstar didn't come through anyway).

But let's rewind to where I left off with the last FUF. N. came into town and we assembled a motley crew for a bit of drinking and dinner at the local and the next morning, we recuperated with some yummy at Slim's. Then, we hit Magazine and the Quarter for some fun shopping and indulged in the best candy in the city. And then, like a good girl, I stayed in to write while N. went out. Though, we did hit the local after that, so it's a toss up how good I actually was. And then we recuperated again the next day with Slice and some Borders browsing before she went home. I spent the rest of Sunday doing some last minute hurricane research, which was pretty traumatic, but helpful. I watched a short movie (41 minutes) about the affects of storms on Louisiana's coastal wetlands called Hurricane on the Bayou that's pretty remarkable and I highly recommend it. It features some awesome local musicians and there's a pretty amazing story behind it, but that's for another time.

I finished a wonderful book called Cures for Heartbreak by a writer I adore, Margo Rabb. I managed to keep my (few) appointments and I did watch SYTYCD both Wednesday and Thursday, though I almost forgot about Wednesday and missed the very beginning. But largely, people knew to ignore me and I felt qualified to ignore them.

And so, some final word counts for you:
5/23: 68
5/24: 1,074
5/25: 4,118 (yeah, I know)
5/26: no new words, but lots of editing
5/27: 2,205
5/28: 1,688
5/29: 4,619 (whew)

The days got kinda strange there. For several days in a row, I was up till 3 and then 4 and then 5 a.m. I'd get a few hours' sleep, address bills and emails (the least amount I could get away with), talk to Jamey and drink coffee, putter around a bit, then go home and eat. Around 7 or 8 p.m., I'd begin writing again. This morning, I was up till 7 a.m. and almost finished the book. I had ONE chapter left and had to stop because I was exhausted and had an appointment in the afternoon. Even after I forced myself to shut down the computer and go to bed, I was jotting down notes in a frenzy. So after the appointment and puttering around, I got back to work about 5 p.m. and by 7:35, I'd finished. Which brings us back to the beginning of this post.

Thank you to everyone for your support.

In parting, some links to things I've found interesting this week:

This person gives me hope for the youth of America (and also makes me sad about that status of education in America).

This is mostly a test to see if W. reads my blog. :) Horror novels on toilet paper. What next?

Men love Twilight, too.

Yay for Louie - this is fun.

To bed, go I. My blog is a year old, my book is finished and I get to see my Papa Bear tomorrow. Life is good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow

congrats

davidloti=davidloti

Emilie said...

Hi Loti!

Thanks. It's good to hear from you. How have you been lately? So glad you're reading the blog!

E

Mary said...

This is extremely belated - I have been remiss in catching up on blogs since I got home due to a billion chores plus returning to a mild flea infestation (yahhhh!!!) - but I have to post anyway and say CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Emilie said...

Thanks. :) It's good to hear, whatever the day or time. I'm glad you had a good trip, not so glad about the fleas. I know what that's like, unfortunately.