Friday, May 30, 2008

Sex in the City and "uncontacted tribes"

No spoilers here, this time.

First, let me say that I never watched Sex in the City except in snatches whenever my former roommate T used to watch it. I did read the book, which wasn't very good, and saw enough snatches to know that the t.v. show brought new life to it. It's not that I think the show was a bad one - I suspect that it was very well produced, written and acted.

I just can't be bothered. I'm not interested.

So no biggie. The movie's not for me. I'm not going on a rabid rant about the fact that the movie exists, but I would like to complain for a second about the fact that Entertainment Weekly, which I subscribe to, devoted over 80 PAGES of their magazine (two issues ago) to the SiC movie. WTF???? WHY??

I understand that some people will find this fascinating and will lap up every exquisite detail of the articles from varied angles. But what about those of us readers, male and female, who don't give a shit about this movie? That was a wasted issue for us because there were maybe 10 pages we could actually read. I've NEVER seen EW devote so much of an issue to a single item (a lot of an issue, yes, but not over 4/5, not 80 FREAKING PAGES). Even if they devoted 80 pages to something I cared about, I'd still wonder why they were doing it. 80 pages is a lot in a floppy, glossy entertainment magazine. I mean, why didn't they just publish an insert that those of us who don't care about SiC can throw away???

What makes me sad is the fact that I haven't seen and will likely never see SiC and I'm still willing to bet it's a better movie than Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. At least in the sense of keeping true to its universe and having a legitimate story that makes sense.

I still don't care, though. That's probably SiC's worst crime - failure to make me give a shit. Otherwise, it's pretty freaking awesome, I'm sure.

Now. "Uncontacted tribes." Yeah. Go read the article and look at all of the pictures they link to. Two thoughts. First, if they're aiming weapons at you, you have contacted them. They're not "uncontacted." Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm splitting hairs. But still. Second, what's with my suspicious mind that immediately thought - this is a hoax or an advertisement for Survivor. I love me some Survivor (been watching it my entire adult life), but I seriously wouldn't put it past Probst and Burnett. If there are "uncontacted tribes" on this planet, let's all do them a favor and leave them that way. That means, no logging their villages away and no flying aircraft over them in order to get pictures. Get it? Got it? Good.

And no matter what you think, SiC and uncontacted Amazon tribes ARE connected in a very real way and viable co-subjects for one blog post. Promise. :)

No comments: