Thursday, June 12, 2008

Soooo tired, happy and excited, but also sad

Yeah, you try keeping up with all that emotion. :) It's tough.

The movie's winding down. Tomorrow's my last day. Trying to get everything wrapped up at work, new roommate getting settled AND about to rush over to Atlanta to try and get that short film job. So, best case scenario, I won't be back for 3 weeks, so I have to pack accordingly. Today is my friend Jenn's birthday and some friends of mine from BR are coming to Nola tomorrow and it's probably my last chance to see one of them for a loooooong time. So, I'm a little emotional and crazy right now.

From Maud Newton's blog via After the MFA:

<<Recently I’ve been writing nonfiction about some of these experiences. Initially the essays felt like a distraction from the larger, far more urgent (pretend the last four words are encased in giant quotation marks) work of my book, not to mention uncomfortably revealing. But now I believe getting them out of my system is helping me focus on the story I’m really trying to tell.

The vast accumulation of crazy things I need to fictionalize and fit into my novel somehow had become the major impediment to finishing the book — the reason the story was so unwieldy and bloated. I’m guessing this is a common problem for first novelists.

Now I’m trying to stay mindful of Twain’s advice: “A successful book is not made of what is in it, but what is left out of it.” >>

Yeah, I think I needed to hear that today.

Then, through GalleyCat, I found out about this organization called the Girl Effect that has an amazingly touching and thought-provoking video that will pop up as soon as you go to the website here.

Also, the mystery of the huge memoir that Gawker and GalleyCat were so obsessed with has been solved. Here, via GalleyCat.

Who knows when I'll write again. They're demolishing the office I work in tomorrow morning, so probably no Internet and tomorrow evening will be hectic. Probably Sunday.

2 comments:

Mary said...

"A successful book is not made of what is in it, but what is left out of it.”

I love Twain. That really was true of my first novel: I had to start writing something else before I really understood I didn't need to throw everything that struck my fancy (and apprehension) into the first.

Emilie said...

Twain's a know-it-all smartypants. Sigh. He's usually right, too. I subscribe to the theory that you do need to throw everything in for the first draft and then sort of sculpt out the true book from the raw mass.